Advantages of an Anticoagulation Clinic
- Being able to get immediate blood level readings is vital.
- The clinic will work with each individual to test for appropriate blood levels and to adjust medication as needed right away, instead of allowing patients to remain on levels that are too low or too high for several days.
- Don't require blood samples to be taken from veins.
- The ability to test blood via fi nger poke blood samples. Finger pokes are usually far easier to bear than frequent venous blood tests. These still may be necessary from time to time, but may be required far less often.
- Patients must take appropriate dose of Warfarin (Coumadin®) in order to prevent clot formation or bleeding. Since many medications, foods, and disease states can affect your response to Warfarin (Coumadin®), frequent blood tests and discussions with your doctor or pharmacist are required.