Saint Joseph London Heart Testing Centers offer state-of-the-art diagnostic tests to provide a complete assessment of your heart and vascular needs. We have a full range of equipment and procedures to evaluate your heart health. Many of these procedures are available in outpatient testing centers.
Noninvasive Diagnostic Tests performed at the Heart Testing Centers include:
- Echocardiogram (also known as echo) - A noninvasive test using sound waves to produce a study of the motion of the heart's chambers and valves. The echo sound waves create an image on the monitor as an ultrasound transducer is passed over the heart.
- Cardiac Doppler - Studies show speed and direction of blood flow.
- Holter Monitor - A small, portable, battery-powered ECG machine worn to record heartbeats during normal activities over a period of 24 to 48 hours. At the end of the time period, the monitor is returned to the center so the recording can be read and evaluated.
- Event Recorder - A small, portable, battery-powered machine used to record ECG over a long period of time. Patients may keep the recorder for several weeks. Each time symptoms are experienced, the patient presses a button on the recorder to record the ECG sample. As soon as possible, this sample is transmitted to the physician's office by telephone hookup for evaluation.
- Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) - This screening is painless, quick, and non-invasive. It is used to identify peripheral arterial disease.
- Nuclear Cardiology Imaging - scans the heart for blood-flow indications before and after exercise. Using a contrast medium, a physician reviews the pre-exercise and post-exercise images to detect areas of the heart that are not receiving enough blood flow and may indicate a blockage of a coronary artery.
- Stress Tests - Performed on a treadmill or stationary bike, this test measures the heart's response to increasing work levels. In some cases, medications are used for those unable to exercise.
- Venous Doppler - This test is used to access the presence or absence of varicose veins and blood clots.
The Heart Testing Centers are open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. To schedule an appointment, please call (606) 330-6000