Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Surgical Procedure
This procedure is restrictive (the size of the stomach is altered), and malabsorptive (decrease the length of the small intestine which absorbs food). The first step of the operation is to create the gastric pouch. This is done by dividing and separating a small portion of the upper stomach from the rest of the stomach. The gastric pouch is your new stomach and is approximately the size of a golf ball. When you eat, the pouch will fill up quickly, creating a feeling of fullness. The remainder of the stomach, the so called "remnant", is left in your body and it continues to make gastric juices. However, it will never be exposed to food again.
- Rapid initial weight loss.
- Longer experience (versus the adjustable gastric band) in the United States.
- Considered the "gold standard" procedure for weight loss.
- Compared to the adjustable gastric band, it produces slightly more weight loss and does not require adjustments of the band.
- Portion of digestive tract is bypassed, reducing absorption of essential nutrients which will require vitamin and mineral supplementation.
- Compared to the adjustable gastric band, it is a more difficult, complex, and riskier procedure.
- Difficult to reverse.
For more information about Flaget Center for Weight Loss Surgery call 502.350.5492.
Flaget Center for Weight Loss Surgery
4305 New Shepherdsville Road
Bardstown, Kentucky 40004